In 1840 Broulee became the site of the first court in the district and, the following year, was made the centre of a police district which covered the area from Jervis Bay to Eden. A flood washed away the particularly dangerous sand bar at the mouth of the Moruya River in 1841. A town site was surveyed and Surveyor Mitchell, a supporter of Aboriginal place names, wanted it called 'Mherroyah'; this supposedly being the Aboriginal word for 'resting place of black swans' which were very common in the district.Thus 'Moruya', or 'Mherroyah' was adopted when the town was gazetted in 1851.It housed some 300 people in all, including 150 stonemasons, toolsmiths and quarry workers recruited at good wages from Aberdeenshire (noted for their skills as granite masons), as well as Italian craftsmen and the families of many of the migrants.The first bridge across the Moruya River was erected in 1876 though the havoc wreaked by frequent flooding saw new bridges erected in 19 and, most recently, in 1966.This quarry was taken over in 1924 by the contractors for the Sydney Harbour Bridge, Dorman Long & Co., who chose the material for the bridge's pylons.The company built Granite Town adjacent to the quarry, a 1000-acre village with 72 mostly-four-room low-rent cottages, that existed between 19.
A cheese co-operative was formed the same year in Bergalia and the Union Dairy Factory opened there in 1893.
Moruya Pleasant south coast township servicing the surrounding rich agricultural region.
Situated 306 km south of Sydney via the Princes Highway Moruya (population 2520) is a coastal town reliant upon timber, dairying, cattle, vegetables, fish, oysters and tourism for its sustenance.
Gold was mined at Wagonga in 1860s and a silver mine opened in Moruya in 1861 but was later abandoned.
The infrastructure of the town continued to develop in the 1860s with churches, stores, hotels, banks, blacksmiths and newspapers opening.